Monday, February 8, 2010

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Each week we have been picking a different theme to work on different projects and learning activities. I haven't really posted them, but I had fun taking pictures this week, so I thought I would show you what we worked on with our Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle theme.

We have both the big book and the board book and Molly really enjoyed reading both with me and also by herself. This is actually a book that she has memorized and can "read" to me.

One of her favorite things to do is to help tell the story and be active. So I made these magnets for her. I just printed a picture of the animal on each page, laminated them and stuck a magnet on the back. Then as I read the story, she would put the correct magnet up on the fridge. So I would say... "Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see," and she would put the red bird up.

We also worked on colors with jellybeans and the story. This was a HUGE hit, as you can imagine, she was thrilled to get to eat the jellybeans that matched the color on the page. It just took a long time, I didn't think about how big jelly beans actually were... whoopsies, sugar high!

We also used the printouts from this great Tot Pack Carissa from 1+1+1=1 has. We love these, she has so many great resources you definitely need to check out! The pictures below are all using her great Brown Bear Tot Pack. I printed and laminated with my new laminator I got for Christmas, LOVE it. :)

Here Molly was working on counting the animals on each card. This is by far her hardest skill right now. Sometimes she just rattles off the right answer and other times she wants to count them all twice.

In the little coloring book, Molly had to color each animal the correct color. Such as coloring the bird red. She loved having this book at the end of coloring it all. She has been showing it off to everyone all week.

Here she is working on the matching heads and tails activity. This is a favorite.

So proud she did it, "All by myself."

Molly has gotten much better at organizing things by size. From smallest to largest, and now is doing good at from largest to smallest as well.

A few more things we worked on that I didn't snap pictures of were animal sounds. We acted out each animal and made there sounds. This was a lot of fun, but I am glad there is not a picture of me 9 months pregnant, pretending to be a blue horse with Molly! We also did a color hunt, and went through the house finding everything we could to match the colors; so all the green things we could find when we were on the green frog page.

It was definitely a fun theme week. Molly loved having a bunch of activities that are linked together and it also makes it very easy and fun for me to come up with things to work on.

1 comment:

  1. These were great! I plan on doing this theme with my daughter in the near future, so I'm keeping this link in my favorites!! And, looks like I need to bite the bullet and get myself a laminator, looks so much easier than contact paper-that takes so long...

    ReplyDelete