Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tip Tuesday!

Here is my tutorial on how to make a really simple felt board. This is my first tutorial, so bear with me and let me know if you have any questions.

Supplies needed: Foam core poster board, scissors, exacto knife, tape measure, hot glue gun, white felt big enough to cover desired board + 4 inches, and colored felt for cut out pieces. (puff paint optional for outlining pieces) You can get felt for pretty cheap by the yard at fabric and craft stores.


Measure your foam core to desired size. I made mine, 22" by 18" but you can make any size you would like. I cut it using the exacto knife, be careful when you cut that it doesn't go onto the surface below. I cut almost all the way through, and then bent the board so it snapped off. The edges you cut will be rough, don't worry, these will get covered by the felt.


Next, cut your piece of white(can use any color) felt 4 inches bigger than your foam core. My foam core was 22" by 18", so I cut my white felt 26" by 22" Use the scissors to cut the felt.


Next, I laid the foam core on top of the white felt.


Then, snip out the corners of the felt with scissors as shown above.


There should be 2" of felt all the way around the board now, with squares cut out of each corner. Just fold the 2" up onto the back side of the board and hot glue in place.


The finished back should look like this. Now flip over, and your board is done!


All that's left is to cut out pieces to use. I made a shape set here, you can use puff paint to outline your pieces so they can be seen better if you desire.

Then, enjoy! I'm hoping to make some cool sets of shapes to use soon. I am thinking of a fish and ocean set, or a Very Hungry Caterpillar set... who knows. The possibilities are endless.

Let me know what shapes and sets you make!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I would never think of it. You're so creative!
    Thanks for stopping by and looking around at my Wonderfully Wordy blog! I just love new visitors!
    Shelley Smith
    wonderfullywordy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot to add that if you put an order in before Friday for "Welcome" vinyl or door numbers, the cost is $12.00 instead of $15.00. Just thought you might like to know!
    Thanks again.
    Shelley Smith

    ReplyDelete